Iswar Sankalpa is a non-profit organization started in 2007 with the hope of reaching out to the ‘forgotten’ and ‘untouchable’ population – that of the homeless persons with psychosocial disabilities on the streets of Kolkata. Today we are a multi-pronged service delivery organization providing intervention for both the homeless and urban home-based poor population in Kolkata. This journey has been of heartbreaks and struggle, the initial loneliness and now the overwhelming joy of fruition. But there are still miles to go…
The founders of Iswar Sankalpa have a vision - that of ensuring dignity and holistic well being of persons with psychosocial disabilities.
Our mission is two-fold -
1. To lend a helping hand to those with psychosocial disabilities, particularly to those from underprivileged sections of society, and to do so in a humane manner.
2. To empower people with psychosocial disabilities and mental health conditions in attaining their rights
It has been the Goal of Iswar Sankalpa -
1. To increase access to community-based care and support for homeless persons with psychosocial disability through a network of community caregivers
2. To offer options for the homeless persons with psychosocial disability to get services through institutional care, day care centres or/and on the street and a long stay facility for people who will never be able to be restored to their families.
3. To provide accessible and affordable mental health intervention for the urban poor intertwined with primary health care services in an effort to facilitate early identification, awareness, addressing stigma and preventing homelessness.
4. To utilize information/data management to enhance decision making and service delivery
5. To maximize efficient and effective use of human, fiscal, and material resources